Vivint Authorized Retailer Logan
Smart Security Specialists -- Your Vivint Authorized Dealer Covering Logan & Surrounding Areas

Top causes of residential fires in Logan and how to prevent them

September 25, 2023
Man surprised by smoke pouring out of oven

When you own a home, there are many threats to consider. Fire is chief among them, as it can happen in any place and at any moment. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage in the United States as a result of residential fires in 2021. In the same year, there were in excess of 350,000 recorded fires. Luckily, there are steps you can take to prevent them. Investigate the causes and how to prevent house fires in Logan.

What sparks residential fires in Logan?

Fires can sprout up in any location and without warning, whether ignited by a smoldering cigarette in a trash can or an unattended stovetop. Here are the top causes of residential fires.

  • Cooking: Flare-ups in the kitchen are the most frequent kinds of residential fires in Logan and all other areas. Neglected stovetops are the main cause, so always keep an eye on that smoking skillet when making dinner. It’s also important to note that soaking a grease fire with water will only make matters worse.
  • Heating: Portable heaters are a well-known cause of residential fires. Using them for extended periods may cause inner parts to degrade and ignite. Damaged cords and placing heaters near flammable materials like bedding or window coverings may also lead to disastrous results. Other heating elements, such as HVAC systems and fireplaces, may cause fires and ought to be checked frequently.
  • Electrical: Outdated wiring, malfunctioning outlets, and overloaded extension cords are some ways electrical complications result in fires. Don’t ever use an appliance with a tattered cord, and make certain ignitable substances like paper aren’t placed on a lampshade, get it checked out immediately.
  • Candles: When there's a flame, there's a chance of fire. Residential fires from candles are still all too common and often result from careless behavior. Placing candles next to ignitable materials like drapery or leaving them within the domain of a curious pet will often result in disaster.
  • Smoking: Even with the overall decline in smoking nationwide, it’s still an unquestionable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated that 7,800 residential fires were started by smoking in 2021. Dozing off with a cigarette still burning or disposing of smoldering ashes too soon can bring about devastating results.

The primary way to prevent house fires in Logan is to eliminate careless behavior. Always pay attention when cooking, don’t leave a candle unattended, and dispose of cigarettes properly. If you must run a space heater, do so infrequently and invest in one that has an automatic shut-off safety precaution in the event it is knocked over.

Safeguard your home with a monitored fire alarm in Logan

You ought to have smoke detectors on all floors and consider using more near sleeping quarters. But you can take your home’s safety a step further with a monitored fire alarm. These beneficial safety devices will not only recognize smoke but can also trigger due to rising heat. Additionally, since they incorporate into your modern smart home, they’ll notify you and your monitoring professionals whenever an emergency takes place. This is a nice perk, especially when you’re not there to hear the alarm and call the fire department yourself.

Safeguard your home against various risks with a Vivint smart home in Logan

Upgrade the safety of your property today with a Vivint smart home. You may personalize our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll be thankful for the instant updates to your smartphone and the reassurance that you get with professional monitoring. Contact (562) 376-5457 to speak with a skilled Vivint professional.